2020 U.S. COMMISSIONS OVERVIEW
What you need to know about becoming a Beautycounter Consultant
One by one, we are leading a movement to a future where all beauty is clean beauty. We are powered by people, and our collective mission is to get safer products into the hands of everyone. Formulate, advocate, & educate—that’s our motto for creating products that truly perform while holding ourselves to unparalleled standards of safety.
Beautycounter products are available online via our direct-to-consumer website, in our brick-and-mortar stores, through strategic partnerships, and via our independent sales Consultants.
As of the end of December 2020, Beautycounter had over 56,419 independent Consultants in the United States and Canada.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT BECOMING A CONSULTANT
Consultants join Beautycounter to share our mission, and, for doing so, are rewarded with:
- Personal development – access to virtual and live training on selling, mentorship, advocacy, and much more
- Community support – access to a collegial, inclusive, and motivated network that shares a passion for clean beauty
- Skill building – an opportunity to collaborate, influence, learn, and grow
- Selling Commissions – that range from a minimum of 25% up to 35%* for items sold to customers
- Exclusive product access – a 25% discount on most items, as well as early access to new product launches
TYPICAL FULL-YEAR EARNINGS FOR 2020
The figures shown on this page include all individuals who were eligible to earn commissions with Beautycounter as Consultants at any time throughout 2020. A total of 74,472 US Consultants were analyzed and summarized, including:
- Consultants who had no sales, and therefore earned no income
- Individuals who did not maintain their Consultant affiliation throughout the year (did not meet activity requirements or elected to change their account status), and were not eligible to earn in all 12 months**
- Those who enrolled later in the year and had as few as one month of earnings
These figures do not include value of trips, non-cash incentives, prizes, and free product provided to Consultants.
They also do not include the expenses incurred by Consultants. For additional information on the costs of becoming a Consultant and maintaining an account, see “Expenses Incurred by Typical Consultants” below.
The total amount of Commissions that a Consultant earns depends on many factors, including the amount of time he or she dedicates to Beautycounter.
Consultants determine when and how much they wish to work. Many of our Consultants choose to spend a few hours a week with Beautycounter, while others have made it a full-time focus. Success in selling also depends on personal skill, reach of influence, and other factors. As a result, the amount of Commissions earned can vary significantly.
For the full year 2020, earnings for US Consultants before expenses were:
- The average total annual income for all Consultants was $1,861.
- 25% of Consultants had no sales and therefore earned no Commissions
- 35% (26,205) of Consultants earned more than $500
- 22% (16,501) of Consultants earned more than $1,000
- 1% (679) of Consultants earned more than $30,000. The median earnings of the top 1% of Consultants was $50,365 (Average was $54,328).
TYPICAL EARNINGS OF NEWLY-ENROLLED CONSULTANTS IN 2020
To provide additional information to those considering becoming Consultants, the following figures show the typical total earnings of Consultants during the first 6 months after enrollment.
For these figures, we include all 22,341 Consultants that are both a) new enrollees in the 2020 Commission year and b) had at least 6 months within the year as Consultants.
In 2020, first-6-month total earnings for US Consultants before expenses were:
- The median total first-6-month income for new Consultants was $103 (Average was $444)
- 30% (6,613) of new Consultants had no sales and therefore earned no Commissions
- 50% (11,265) of new Consultants earned more than $100
- 23% (5,136) of new Consultants earned more than $500
- 12% (2,664) of new Consultants earned more than $1,000
- 2% (366) of new Consultants earned more than $3,700
MONTHLY EARNINGS DETAILS FOR 2020
Consultants earn Titles each month based on their sales performance. To provide more information about typical earnings for each Title, below are the monthly Commissions earned by Consultants in 2020 before expenses:
|Paid-As Title||Monthly Average Earnings||Top 25% Avg.||Bottom 25% Avg.||% of Consultants at Title (Composite of all Months)|
AVERAGE AND MEDIAN PROMOTION TIMES***
|PAID AS TITLE||AVERAGE MONTHS||MEDIAN MONTHS|
EXPENSES INCURRED BY TYPICAL CONSULTANTS
Consultants join Beautycounter by purchasing a $98.00 Enrollment Kit that includes sales materials, products, and a personal website for one year. Beginning in spring 2020, a $50.00 digital enrollment kit is also available.
Many Consultants choose to buy an optional Starter Set, which includes products to use, demonstrate, and sample. In 2020, 46% of enrolling Consultants purchased a Starter Set.
On average, new Consultants spent approximately $187 at the time of enrollment in 2020. The median amount spent was $160. (Excludes Enrollment Kit).
To remain a Consultant, it’s necessary to pay a $50.00 annual fee, which provide access to our Behind the Counter Consultant portal, our mobile app, and a personalized ecommerce website to accept customer orders.
If you enroll as a Consultant and find it’s not right for you, Beautycounter offers a generous refund policy.
- Full Refund for Up to 60 Days: You may return any product for a full refund, including your enrollment kit and starter set(s), even if it has been opened and partially used, for 60 days after the date your order was shipped.
- One-Year Business Supplies Refund Policy: Any product used to promote Beautycounter, including your enrollment kit, starter sets, brochures, samples, logo merchandise, or personal product may be returned for up to one year from the date it was shipped. A refund equal to 90% of the purchase price will be issued if the return is initiated between 61 and 365 days from shipment. Product returned in this window must be unopened and in salable condition to be eligible for a refund.
IMPORTANT NOTES ABOUT EARNING COMMISSIONS & REWARDS
Beautycounter and/or any of our independent Consultants do not guarantee any level of income. Each Consultant’s success in earning Commissions will depend on his or her efforts, abilities, and circumstances. Financial success with Beautycounter requires dedication and diligent effort. In addition, success requires demonstrated skill in selling and, if a Consultant chooses to do so, leading a team of other Consultants. Those considering becoming Consultants should carefully consider their unique circumstances to set any expectation of Commissions that may be earned, rather than relying upon testimonials of others or hypothetical examples.
*Consultants earn 25% on the Personal Volume of all products sold to Clients and/or Members. They may also earn up to 10% Personal Sales Bonus when they sell over 3,000 Personal Volume in a monthly Commission period. Combined, these bonuses may pay up to 35% on the Personal Volume of a Consultant’s sales.
**Beautycounter Consultants are required to sell products to Clients and Members in order to maintain their accounts. We require at least 1,200 QV (1 QV point is typically earned for each dollar of product sold, excluding shipping, handling, tax, and discounts) in sales every 6 months.
***Only consultants with promotions are included in the average and median promotion times. If a consultant skips a promotion (i.e. directly to Sr. Manager as an example), the consultant’s promotion to Sr. Consultant and Manager would be considered the same month as the Sr. Manager promotion month. Promotion times are first time title promotion and subsequent promotions to the same title are not counted. The promotion data shown depicts promotion times (as of February 2021) for Consultants that enrolled in 2018.