GOING BEYOND CLEAN
The 2019 Social Mission Report
From day one, we have been setting the cleanest and safest standards in beauty, constantly challenging the industry—and ourselves—to do better. In the past year, we’ve upped our game to meet the highest standards:
- We’ve increased our Never List™ to more than 1,800 ingredients that we’ll never use in our formulations.
- We’ve conducted phone audits for 100% of our mica suppliers, as part of our best-in-class responsible sourcing program.
- We supported Congress’ first vote on cosmetics reform in more than 80 years.
- We diverted an estimated 76% of our HQ waste from ending up in landfills.
The best part? We’re just getting started.
Our In-House Lab
We continued to build our robust in-house team of scientists at HQ. With 65 years of experience between them, they conduct research, development, and safety testing for our formulations (in addition to our trusty third-party labs, of course).
1800+ Banned Ingredients
(For reference, we’re outpacing industry standards: 1400 in the EU, 600 in Canada, and 30 in the U.S.)
We also test many raw materials for Never List™ contaminants. Here are the big ones:
- (and many more!)
We disclose all of our fragrances, including EU allergens, where applicable. (It’s just safer that way.)
18 Approved Colorants
We’re really strict about keeping our makeup clean, including colorants (the pigments that give makeup their color).
(The EU approves 153, and the US approves 65.)
Taking it to 100%
- 100% of our cosmetics are tested for heavy metals. We test obsessively—multiple times—and share some of the most impactful results on our website.
- 100% of our products are tested for allergens as applicable, a.k.a.: soy, gluten, and peanuts.
- We are eliminating talc from 100% of our products by 2022.
Palm can be a controversial ingredient, as its harvest often has unethical working conditions and serious environmental impacts. That’s why we’re focusing on responsibly sourced palm formulas, and joined the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) as they recently upgraded and further legitimized their standards.
The vanilla industry is known for human rights issues, from child labor to wage theft. We’ve been working with a best-in-class supplier to audit a new sustainable vanilla supply, pushing the industry to do responsible sourcing better.
It starts with us.
- An estimated 76% of HQ waste is diverted from landfills through our recycling and composting programs.
- 100% of carbon emissions from HQ associate travel are offset through a leading sustainability agency, which invests both locally and globally in renewable energy and community development projects.
Gregg Renfrew, our fearless founder, was the first clean beauty CEO to testify as an expert witness at a hearing on cosmetic reform in Congress.
Beautycounter endorsed the Natural Cosmetics Act, the first bill to combat greenwashing in the beauty industry in the U.S.
We traveled to Ottawa with 25 Consultants to lobby Parliament for stronger personal care product safety laws.
And we supported the first vote on cosmetics in Congress in more than 80 years—the Cosmetic Safety Enhancement Act.
Urging lawmakers to support cosmetic reform with:
- 150,000 texts
- 15,000 phone calls
- 1,500 meetings with over 350 Consultants (in Canada and the U.S.)
in cash and product donations to date made to our trusted partners.
social media posts with the hashtag #BETTERBEAUTY
clean and safer products sold.
proud and passionate Consultant advocates (a.k.a., our leaders in clean).